Wednesday, February 15, 2006

...world traveller...kinda...

So this link is pretty cool. You should check it out and create your own map. Maybe one day my whole world will be red... (it's a little deceptive in terms of North America...I haven't been everywhere...and I visited Australia when I was 18mos., but I figured that's got to still count for something...)


Click here to make your own map:

http://www.world66.com/myworld66/login?redirecturl=/community


For those of you who I haven't told (or for those of you who I don't actually talk to, but you like to read my blog page anyway, and feel that it's some sort of way to keep in touch without actually keeping in touch) I have some big(ish) news. Actually, it's sort of non-news, because it's not official or anything yet, but still an exciting prospect.

Get to the news, Emily.
Right.

So a year ago I emailed the principal of The American School in Sierra Leone (it's an international school - parents who are working for the UN or other NGOs send their kids there) about whether there were any job openings etc., etc. I didn't hear anything back at all then and I figured she probably didn't work at the school anymore or maybe the school doesn't even exist anymore. I just lifted the email address off of an internet site.

Well, when I got back from Christmas holidays this year, I received an email from her. She was just writing to say she didn't have any record of having responded to my email and that she hoped I was well and was wondering where I was in my studies. I was kind of ticked off because she asked me if I'd finished my teaching degree yet...which was what I had already told her in my original email when I asked about teaching positions at her school. At any rate, I emailed her back and told her I was just finishing up my Master's here in Halifax and that if any openings at her school became available that she should let me know.

Last friday I received another email from her (a much longer, more detailed email this time) telling me that she did indeed have an opening for a teacher for next year and that she would like to consider me for the positon. It would be teaching social studies (history and geography, mainly) for grades 4-9 and literture (can you say 'story time?!') for grades 4-6. I haven't written her back about it because I've been thinking about it and weighing my options. But...I'm pretty excited about the possibility!! If I did go, I'd leave towards the end of August ne'er to return until July 2007. Cool! (on a side note the school is completely legit...in case you were concerned).


Apparently I can also do a phone-defense for my thesis from Sierra Leone. I checked with my thesis supervisor yesterday. Who knew?

Well, that's my newest most exciting news.

What do you think??



2 Comments:

At 9:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think its fantastic and I'm jealous. Sierra Leone and storytime, what an experience. However, thesis defence over the phone? How horribly scary!! I'm sure you can handle it, however.

 
At 12:08 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I think it'd be one of the best things that you will ever have done (figure out the name of that tense and I'll give you a cookie).

Living in Korea has been such an incredible eye-opener in so many incredible ways that it's just been... well...incredible. Sierra Leone would be even more amazing for you since you've been there for a while now, despite the nagging physicality of your living in Halifax.

I say go for it absolutely. I've heard of American Schools elsewhere, and there's always good things being said about them, so that's not a worry at all, obviously.

I'm super excited for you. Hope everything works out!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home