Tuesday, February 07, 2006

...a long day's journey into night...

Let me begin by saying, if you're going to go to North Bay you should really just fly there. Even if you have to switch your flight....

So this weekend I took a little time off and traveled to the tropic-esque destination of North Bay, ON. Why you ask? Turns out those hot dates at Christmas weren't just flukes and Dale, the guy I'm seeing lives there. Well, sort of. He has a house there but he moves around a lot (we have that in common - super!) because he's in the Canadian Armed Forces [we do NOT have that in common...in fact it's better if we don't talk about that ;)]. Actually, he's just transfered to the Airforce so that's why he's moving around a lot...anyway, I digress. I spent a long weekend in North Bay admiring the sights (not really) and watching snow fall (shockingly). And I'm not going to lie, it was fantastic. I should do nothing more often, I tell you. The company wasn't half-bad either.

Except here's the thing. Originally Dale was going to be in Petawawa and I was going to pick him up and we were going to drive to North Bay. So I rented a car. And then he got transfered. And then I had to drive for 4 hours to North Bay from Ottawa. One word: Fun. (and by fun I mean...not.) Me and Amanda Marshall had some special moments together along Hwy 17 West (and East, would you believe). So the moral of this story: fly. Always fly.

Sorry I haven't posted a blog for a while. I've been preoccupied with deadlines and really nothing exciting was happening here in Hali. Oh. Except for last week when my professor told me that he didn't think I'd get into a PhD program at Dalhousie if I applied this year. Yeah. That was pretty much the highlight of my week last week. That and my essay on rape. Good times, I tell ya. Good times...

And so now, if you're feeling a little bit blue, let me leave you with something that I hope will make you smile. For those of you who may not get the punch line - Solomon describes his beloved in the Old Testament book 'Song of Songs'...some of the images he chooses to use to describe his lover are, well, not so flattering. I ask you ladies, when was the last time you wanted your breasts described as being like "two fawns?" Exactly.

Behold. And laugh.

http://www.reverendfun.com/index.php?date=20060207

(ok, so I swear the comic is funny. I'm experiencing some technical difficulties and can't actually get the picture itself on my blog. Yes, I've tried saving it in .gif, .jpeg, .bmp, and even as a .doc. Just click on the link.)

3 Comments:

At 10:36 a.m., Blogger T said...

I'm giving Solomon the benefit of the doubt that he wanted to have his book rated 'G'...or that the translator had some fun...

glad you had fun on the weekend...so what is there to do in North Bay? Other than look at the snow?

 
At 10:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed you at the Ottawa airport...I was in Montreal with my flute...or at least the pieces of it. I've been having fun too :)
Do your best application for Dal. My friend in Halifax (who teaches at St. Mary's) hadn't finished her PhD when she applied for her professorship and she was "seriously" warned that she wasn't qualified enough for the job and that she shouldn't apply...yada, yada. Anyways, she obviously got the job - way I see it, if God wants you there, then He has some seious "pull" in the whole cosmic realm...but he can't "get you in" the school if you don't go thru the process of applying :) Que Sera, sera.

 
At 11:47 a.m., Blogger Cameron said...

Insert 'grrrr' sound effect here! Great cartoon, funny story, hope you get to fly in a fighter jet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home