Tuesday, November 29, 2005

...Christmas is coming...

Just to point out the obvious, or in case you've been living under a stump recently, Christmas is on its way. At least that's what all the marketers are telling me. Everywhere I go I hear Christmasy Muzak playing over pa systems...why even today I heard Adam Sandler's Hanukah song. I'm not going to lie, it made me laugh. (if you'd like to laugh too go to http://www.chanuka.com/songs.shtml - there are even multiple versions!) I also heard some horrible renditions of some classic carols sung by some guy who sings his "rs"...ugh. It makes me shudder. But here's the thing...if it weren't for all of the Christmas music and the red and green springing up all around I'd have no idea...WHERE'S THE SNOW? Today it was 8 degrees. Tomorrow I think it's supposed to be 10 degrees and sunny. I'm not really complaining, but it would be a shame to have a completely green Christmas...it just wouldn't feel like the right season. Maybe it's just Halifax (which by the way is usually quite snowy and cold - I like to think I brought some good weather with me) but I don't think the wild weather, or lack there of, is limited to our eastern shores...apparently it was 13 degrees in parts of Ontario this afternoon. Bring on the global warming...

I started thinking about Christmas shopping today. I like shopping for other people...it justifies my shopaholic tendancies (which are a fairly recent development) and I like giving presents. Receiving presents, however, is a completely different thing. I sometimes feel awkward accepting gifts from other people. I'm not really sure why this is, there's probably some sort of psychological explanation. Perhaps it is because receiving something from another person can tend to be a humbling thing, and often it is difficult to accept kindness. It's possible that I need to work on accepting kindness...who woulda thought (is this sneaky ploy to get extra Christmas presents working??)

I've been making plans to visit friends over the Christmas holidays. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone that I've been missing for months and I can't wait to jump into holiday festivities...apple cider, crackling fires, mistletoe (*wink*wink*), skating, Christmas carols, the Christmas eve service at my church in Toronto, dinner, drinks, friends, family...

Only three more weeks!

2 Comments:

At 11:21 a.m., Blogger Cameron said...

I'll be spending Christmas on the Isle of Iona so I think that I'll be passing a green Christmas and moving right on to grey and opaque.

Hope you get a chance to use your mistletoe (I hear that if you crush it up and sprinkle it into someone's Egg Nogg they'll be willing to fall for your ploy of extra presents...or something like that).

 
At 11:42 p.m., Blogger Emily said...

Hey Cam, want some eggnog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home